If you suffer from back pain or sciatica pain, you may be tired of taking prescribed medications or the next best pain relief cream. Many are seeking home remedies that they can either buy from their local grocery store or whip together from the comfort of their own home.
What is Sciatica?
It is an irritation from the sciatica nerve caused when it is compressed and inflamed due to a medical condition, such as lumbar, spinal stenosis, herniated disc, piriformis syndrome, pregnancy, or hip pain. The sciatica nerve is the largest and longest spinal nerve in the human body.
It is a pain that starts in your lower back that can spread to your buttocks and travel down the large sciatica nerve in the back of your legs. The pain usually affects one side of the lower body. For some people, sciatica pain can be very severe and debilitating. For others, the pain can be infrequent but unbearable at times and last for a few days, often causing a disruption in daily activities.
What are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
- Pain in your buttock or leg that may get worse when sitting
- Constant pain on one side of your buttock or leg
- Numbness, weakness, or difficulty moving your foot, leg, or toes
- Burning or tingling sensation down the leg
- Lower back pain
- A sharp or shooting pain that makes standing up difficult
- Hip pain
- Muscle spasm in the back or buttocks
- Degenerative disc disease
Home Remedy for Sciatica
To make garlic milk, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of water
- 10 cloves of garlic
Put milk and water in a pot over the stove. Peel garlic cloves and add to pot and boil over medium fire. Continue to stir and cook for a few minutes. Remove from stove and strain the milk. For sweetness, you can add a little honey.
Other benefits to drinking garlic milk:
- Arthritis – helps to reduce painful symptoms. i.e. pain and inflammation
- Reduce Cholesterol – helps to reduce “bad” cholesterol; helps to prevent formation of clots.
- Asthma – can assist people who suffer from difficulty breathing, and other lung related problems; best to drink a hot cup at night (reduce the number of garlic cloves)
- Digestive health – helps to remove toxic waste from the body and intestinal parasites; garlic stimulates the secretion of digestive juices; helps to reduce symptoms from diarrhea.